Monday, March 21, 2011

Short-Sleeves

Okay, so this might not seem like such a big deal to you guys, but I wore a short-sleeved shirt to school today.  It's the first time since my freshman year.  Since then it's been hoodies and long-sleeved shirts.

I started self-injuring October 2008.  My arms were covered with scars.  The tops of my arms are still covered in raised, white marks.  My lower arms, though... those are passable.  Don't get me wrong, there are still very noticeable scars, but thanks to the miracles of Mederma and makeup, I can make them look... normal.  Like anyone else's arms.  And my forearms have always been one of my best features: thin and creamy and dainty.

I'm not "over" cutting.  I don't know if I ever will be.  Hell, I even slipped up last month.  But for the most part, I've quit.  And you have no idea how beautiful it feels to wear a short-sleeve shirt on an 80 degree day until you've deprived yourself of the feeling for over two years.  So yeah, it's been a good day.

6 comments:

  1. THIS IS HUGE FOR YOU! I am so happy for you and I hope you let this serve as motivation to keep up everything you've been doing. I'm truly inspired -- keep it up!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. awh i'm so proud of you, babygirl. that's something i've struggled with for the past 5 years so i know how big a deal it is to be doing so much better. i hope your scars fade even more. short sleeves are a very good thing. sheesh. i'm just happy for you. stay strong.
    xoxo
    zette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work girl! That's such a big accomplishment!! The best cure for any scar be it physical or emotional is to let the sun shine right on it. Wear those sleeves with pride, you've earned them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. even with make up i can't cover mine :( there're not a lot, but they are really deep, some of them would have requier stiches. But I think I am 'over' cutting myself. I just want to be perfect,and I can't do that with scars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the feeling of living in hoodies not to bare your scars but having good forearms. This used to be me except now I live in hoodies all year round for other reasons. This is amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! That's such a big achievement for you! I bet it felt great and I hope the scars fade more for you :)
    Stay strong,
    Lottie x

    ReplyDelete